Monday, September 11, 2006

5 years already??


It doesn't seem possible that 9/11 was already 5 years ago. In many ways it feels like yesterday. John and I were talking last night and he said he felt that 9/11 is our generations defining moment. I would agree. I said that I find it so odd that Ellery will grow up and think of 9/11 the same way I thought about president Kennedy's assassination. I couldn't fathom something that horrible ever happening; I couldn't imagine something SO profound that you would never forget the details of that day, down to the tiniest thing. It's funny because I vividly remember the spaceshuttle Challenger disaster but it didn't *define* us, if that makes sense.

9/11 is our defining moment.

I had called in sick to work that day with a migraine and I spent most of the day sleeping. .when I got up my mom was making her bed in her room (I still lived at home then) and said "it's been an awful day" . . i thought she was talking about something to do with my uncle. . .he had just been diagnosed with stage IV colo-rectal cancer. . and I said .. what do you mean. . and she told me. . . well she said that planes hit the WTC. . and I still thought she meant like a little plane. .a Cessna or something. . a horrible accident. . . .

we went downstairs and I just curled up in my dad's recliner and just watched tv all.day.long.

where were you?

may we never forget those people who lost their lives. . . all those innocent people who had no idea that such a gorgeous day would turn so horrible.

may we never forget.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home